My Top 100 Albums – today

Inspired by the NME Top 500 – see my earlier blog – I thought I’d have a crack at my Top 50. That’s what they asked all their contributors to put forward. After the top four or five, which are well-established in my mind, it gets so hard. There are hundreds, thousands, of albums that I love. And then, there’s so much music which has been central to my listening that doesn’t really lend itself to whole albums: dance, reggae, rap, electronica, world, even jazz and soul. And then, then, there’s the age bias – it’s impossible not to favour the albums you grow to know and love in that 16-25 period, those formative years.

So, with excuses in place, here’s my Top 50… except I just couldn’t resist expanding it to 100, because of the stuff I was having to leave out of the 50. And then there’s the stuff I had to leave out of the 100… no, that’s for another time. Maybe some decade selections, especially the most recent, which has been just as good and exciting as its predecessors, although it doesn’t show in this 100.

So here goes….

MY TOP 100 ALBUMS OF ALL TIME!

1. Darkness on the Edge of Town – Bruce Springsteen

95. Countdown To Ecstasy – Steely Dan

96. Led Zeppelin III – Led Zeppelin

97. Fire and Water – Free

98. Almanac – Emily Barker and the Red Clay Halo

99. Cry Tough – Nils Lofgren

100. Rapture – Anita Baker

Pleas feel free to comment, disagree, offer alternatives! There is most certainly no right and wrong. Just memories, feelings, passion…

About John S

I'm blogging about the things I love outside work: music, sport, culture, London, with some photos to illustrate aspects of our wonderful city. And anything else that I happen to think is worth writing about!
This entry was posted in Music - concerts, lists, reflections and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to My Top 100 Albums – today

1. Rick says:

Interesting that you have the Beatles way down the list. Most people would put something by them near the top.

• John S says:

Love ’em, but love other things even more! If I’d put them higher it would have been because I thought I should. Tried to avoid that. Still acknowledge they are the greatest pop band of all time.

2. Kev says:

I’m glad The Boss is up top on your list. 😉

3. Of course you would have a top 100!!! “LOL” Great choices, John. I agree with many.

4. Oh yeah, I find the Joni Mitchell pick just awesome!

5. dc says:

not enough metal

6. DyingNote says:

I find a lot of lists pretentious and trying to be ‘the’ list. This is a great list John because it’s you. And I’m glad to see John Martyn in here – that doesn’t happen often enough

• John S says:

Thanks! Wouldn’t be much point doing it if it wasn’t genuine, though I know what you mean about pretentious lists. A classic example of this is the refusal of music pundits these days to give any credit to U2. (That of course is an assertion based on my personal preferences!) They have been deemed to be uncool. This appears to me to be mostly a resentment of Bono’s non-music activities and occasionally grandiose statements. If you hear musicians, the view is often very different. They are widely admired.

7. Dood says:

Hey, John:

I’m sure you realised that I wasn’t going to lie dormant for ever. But things have been a little busy lately, and it’s taken me a while to compile a proper response. (And one a bit longer than “not enough metal” from dc, whoever the hey he is.)

I can’t possibly write a reply in this box, which ,akes your writing go all weird after a few lines, so I’m mailing your hotmail. Suffice to say, though, that this was a fascinating, challenging, and only occasionally deluded selection (take a bow, Bad Company), and I had huge fun analysing it. And, for your eyes only, I do of course have an alternative list…..

Dood

8. Pingback: Television at the Roundhouse, Chalk Farm | Thoughtsfromwestfive

9. Great list, I should try doing this one day. Love the inclusion of Public Enemy, Oasis, Rod Stewart and Sandinista in particular.

• John S says:

The hardest thing is keeping it down to 100! And if I did it now, I’d have to find a place for Lindi Ortega, War on Drugs, Royal Blood, Parquet Courts, Chvrches, the Staves and Sharon van Etten.

10. Vassilis says:

What a nice list! 90% of the albums I also like. Not all of them in the top 100, but certainly in the top 1000. And what strikes me as strange, is the total lack among others, of Eric Clapton (and groups) and Dire straits. Oh, and choosing One world, over Solid air and Let England shake over To bring you my love. And where is Boss’s best: The Wild, the innocent and the E street Shuffle? 😉 Thank you for sharing and the time it took you to compile it!

• John S says:

Thanks for your comment, Vassilis. It’s two years since I compiled this list and I can guarantee that it would be a bit different now. But I can assure you there would be no Dire Straits! I find them very dull indeed. I admire Clapton as a guitarist, but I’m not a big fan of his albums. Except 461 Ocean Boulevard, which might make a 200. Bruce’s Wild and Innocent is in there, at No 22. To be honest it’s top ten really, but I didn’t want to have Bruce dominating the top of the list too much.