The Guitar is the Star

I’ve been mucking around with a playlist on Spotify tonight, on and off. Inspired by my favourite tune of the moment, “Honey” by Pumarosa, which I wrote about recently. Since then it’s grown on me even more. The wonderful tension of the build up to the solo, which then explodes, is inspirational. It’s accompanied a couple of important moments for me recently, positive moments, which I’ll write about in the future, probably. Given me strength. Can a piece of music really do that? Well, for me, yes.

So I was thinking about other epic guitar moments, some of which are the solos, others just the power of the chords accompanying the anthemic melody. Some are hard rocking, others relatively gentle, but with a guitar that leads the way, that sings its own tune. Some are new, others go back to the 70s. They aren’t always the band’s best known songs. But, bottom line, they are all epic!

So if you have Spotify, and are minded to listen, enjoy!

About John S

I'm blogging about the things I love outside work: music, sport, culture, London, with some photos to illustrate aspects of our wonderful city. And anything else that I happen to think is worth writing about!
This entry was posted in Music - concerts, lists, reflections and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The Guitar is the Star

1. Dood says:

Finally got round to this, John, and I plan to enjoy it. Looks like Page and the Edge are getting due acclaim, together with a nice range from past generations (Johnny Marr, Earl Slick, Hendrix, Neil Young, Trower). I also need to check out some of the younger stuff. As usual.

Nice to see Teenage Fanclub in there – a really distinctive guitar sound, and rather underrated, I reckon.

2. dc says:

wtf- no Prince? One of the best guitarists of all time.
    I like that neil jung and neil young both make the list.
    interested in what you make of this Joe Satriani version of Cortez..

• John S says:

Oops! Pure oversight on the Purple One’s part. That one about the rain duly added.

• John S says:

Yeah, and the Potter/Satriani version: amazing, absolutely loved it! The trumpet worked really well, and she is a way more dynamic singer. We all love “Cortez”, but I think we’d all admit it’s a bit ponderous. This version deals with that. Not better, but a real addition.

3. jsboden says:

Nice list, I didnt realise it was 47 songs to start, and was going to comment – “only 8 songs! there are so many more to add”. There will still be songs you can add over time I guess, but you have got some of the all time greats on here. Pleased to see you haven’t just picked say Bohemian Rhapsody for Queen, or Enter Sandman for Metallica, but some lesser known songs that have killer guitar parts.

4. John S says:

The only qualification for the list is that it’s a personal favourite. Mostly I’ve restricted it to one per band, but there are a few that demand more.